Sunday, August 17, 2008

The farthest I've been from my couch


To celebrate my birthday I wanted to hike to the summit of Mt. Timpanogos. I think it was an attempt to feel younger than I am.


It did not work, I think I nearly died 30+ times.




This is my brother Roger, the family Sherpa. Nobody in our family hikes Timp without him.


I was really glad he came, we had a lot of fun laughing (mostly at me) and joking around. The thing is, he acted like he wasn't tired at all, and that we were going to slow for him, like he could sprint up the mountain or something. I know we were slower than him, but I think he was faking that it wasn't even a little hard for him. I mean seriously.



Happy birthday to me.

No I wasn't this prepared, we borrowed this sign from someone else having a birthday hike.



















I know it's basically wicked of me, but I was using other peoples challenging qualities to motivate myself to keep on keeping on. That first dude was so fat, the picture is actually very flattering and the second dude was like 75, and he was running. There were tons of old people kickin' my butt up the mountain. So I couldn't quit.


This was on the way up. I'm sure the views were awesome the whole way but pretty much all I saw was the trail right in front of my feet.


Things I learned about myself from this hike:

1. Pride will get me to the top

2. I look for and enjoy people worse off than me

3. My hands can swell four times their actual size and not explode

4. I'm a LOT better at down than up

5. I have a really pretty whining voice




We hiked on Sat. 16th, but my birthday was really Sunday. The kids treated me to some Epsom salt and breakfast in bed. If you've never used Epsom salt, it is great for soaking in when you have sore muscles. I was so sore I could barely hold the bag of salt up.




My family came over and we had a little party for me and Benji, since his birthday was Tues. It was alot of fun, my sister Robyn came over early and gave me a make over. She colored my hair and gave me some make up, she even showed me how to put it on the right way.



Yes, my cake does say Brace Face on it and the white things are braces. Why?


All my life I have wanted braces and that's what Blaine got me for my birthday. Hooray! Not only will I finally have straight teeth in a few years, I'll lose weight. Right now 3/4 of my diet is on the do not eat list. Thanks for hooking it all up Blaine.

Pretty good times overall, now I'm ready for the weekend and it's already over.




22 comments:

Daybreaking Dickersons said...

I'm so proud you made it to the top! Happy Birthday. For some reason I was thinking it was today, the 18th. Close enough.

Kristina P. said...

Happy belated birthday! That's exciting you actually made it! There's no way in hell I would even attempt it at this point. I would die after 10 steps. No joke.

Shot by blaine said...

I think the real reason you made it is so you could blog with pride. But hey... better to have a blogtastic reason & make it than not make it at all. + you forgot to write about the kid with palsy that inspired you the last 800 yards or so.

ALF said...

Looks like you had a great birthday. Congrats on the hike!

Christine Peterson said...

OK #1 how high is Mt Timp? Good for the boys taking you up, Roger looks like Bruce in that pic. Also I didn't notice the teeth on your cake, how cute is that!?! Oh and trust me you will still find ways to eat the foods on the do not eat list ha ha. Anyway when do you get the tracks on? Oh and I didn't know bruce was on the trek the last 800 yards or so. ha ha my bad not nice ;)

Lisa said...

wow! Congrats on your birthday and the hike. I'm like you when I hike....I don't see much except for the trail. When do you get your braces? That's exciting.......you'll have to come show off your brace face when you get them.

OH, and I really like the color of your hair. Good job to your sister.

Jenn said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! It looks like you had a fabulous time!! I am so excited for you to get braces, that is a cute cake. I know a good orthodontist in Orem. His name is Wade Thompson. He married a friend of mine. His office is across from Target, if your shopping for one. Good Luck!!

Jenn said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! It looks like you had a fabulous time!! I am so excited for you to get braces, that is a cute cake. I know a good orthodontist in Orem. His name is Wade Thompson. He married a friend of mine. His office is across from Target, if your shopping for one. Good Luck!!

Jenn said...

duh, sorry I published that twice!

Ryan.Robyn said...

TJ- I find it hilarious that you judge other people to motivate yourself. when I'm at the gym I do the same thing. also- what is roger doing in that pic? and Christine? oh geez- you're lucky bruce doesn't read this stuff! ha ha

Ryan.Robyn said...

oh but also- tj will probably tell him. she ratted me out to ryan about his funny pics!

Anonymous said...

**SUPRISE SUPRISE SUPRISE SUPRISE**

Hey! This is no joke! This is Dr. Trapnell's office in Springville and you are scheduled to have an appt here on the 27th at 10:30am to have x-rays taken and then get your braces on the following week. Give us a call is you have any questions. 489-9475.

The Morty's said...

Good for you for making it up there!

Happy Birthday, girl!

Kristy Dean said...

your so much better a women then me, i have yet to ever even try to hike Timp, i did try the Y once and Joel looked back at me and said um i think your going to die! so i went back down.. the 10 steps i had taken... haha so be so proud of yourself and maybe i'll join you one day :)
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! wow your getting old :) but i have you beat! im 34... holy crap im old!

Love ya! hope your day was great.

Rick said...

Happy birthday. I see that you're a Pepper too!

Sara said...

happy happy!! so sorry I'm late. first week of homeschooling rachel is kicking my tush. you don't look a day over 33. i want to see a face view of your new hair and makeup.

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday and I Love the Fanny Pack!

Matsby said...

Wow. Happy birthday! I'm glad you learned so many positive things about yourself...

Just SO said...

What a great way to celebrate your birthday! I've never been to the top of Timp. Maybe in three years I'll go to celebrate my 40th...it will take me that long to get in shape. Ha!

Holdinator said...

Happy Birthday and all that.

suzanne said...

i guess you lost your mind in your 33rd year. timp? are you serious...that's prett awesome. i considered it once. that was is, just considered. so cool about the braces. the pain won't hold you back from the foods you love, nor will the restrictions. i hope you get the full-sized metal ones like i had. you can really rock those! glad your dream is coming true, although i think your teeth are great.

Jami Broadbent said...

looks like a super fun, i mean horrendous (hiking timp) birthday. congrats on the braces.

Heck is for people that don't believe in gosh